Jerry Yanover Memorial Scholarship at the University of Ottawa (762200303883)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
TITLE OF ENDOWED FUND
Jerry Yanover Memorial Scholarship at the University of Ottawa
This fund was created in honour of Jerry Yanover. Jerry Yanover graduated from Queen?s University with a degree in Political Science in 1969. From an early age, Mr. Yanover was fascinated by all things parliamentary. In fact, he spent the summer after his first year of university working as a parliamentary tour guide and the following few summers working for his local MP. He gave up plans to earn a master's degree when Donald Macdonald, then Liberal House leader, offered him a job as his assistant in 1969. He continued to serve every Liberal Leader and House Leader in Government and in Opposition, from that time until his death in July 2009.
A great story teller and an amateur parliamentary historian, Mr. Yanover quickly developed a reputation as an expert in the world of parliamentary procedure and became one of Canada?s foremost experts. With his encyclopaedic knowledge of arcane procedural rules and historical precedents, his unfailing memory, his natural instinct and his passion for Parliament Hill and for the process, he was the undisputed king of parliamentary manoeuvres. He knew every move and every rule, whether it was about the opposition?s strategies or the challenges that faced government. Jerry Yanover will be remembered not as a passive spectator, but as an active participant to the very end, deeply committed to the Liberal Party, his country and to the institution of Parliament.
PURPOSES OF FUND
The applicant must:
1. be registered as a full-time student in a Political Science program at the School of Political Studies of the University of Ottawa;
2. demonstrate academic excellence;
3. demonstrate an interest in political/parliamentary procedures; and
4. demonstrate an active interest in political activities.
Value of the award: $1,500; variable
Number of awards: One
Frequency of the award: Annual
Level or program of study: All levels
Application contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application deadline: October 31
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through the uoZone portal, and should include:
- a copy of the applicant’s transcript; and
- the Curriculum Vitae on Online Scholarships and Bursaries, detailing the applicant’s interest in political/parliamentary procedures and active interest in political activities.