State of Kuwait Scholarship Fund (722200302084)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWMENT FUND
State of Kuwait Scholarship Fund
Arabic is one of the world’s major languages. It is spoken daily by over 300 million people and is used for prayer by 1.2 billion people worldwide. The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at the University of Ottawa offers a minor in Arabic language and culture that provides students not only with a good knowledge of the language itself, but also with an invaluable window into Arabic culture, history, literature, philosophy, religion and society.
This scholarship fund was established by the State of Kuwait to provide students with various interests, disciplines, and cultural backgrounds with a unique opportunity to study Arabic language and culture. The University of Ottawa and the State of Kuwait enjoy a longstanding partnership. In 1984, the State of Kuwait donated $50,000 to help establish a Chair of Arabic Studies. It is in the spirit of this partnership that the generous gift received from the State of Kuwait was matched by the University of Ottawa’s President’s Fund.
PURPOSE OF FUND
To provide financial assistance to students in need who demonstrate a keen interest in the Arabic language and culture.
The applicant must:
1. be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a person with the protected/refugee status or an international student;
2. be registered as a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa;
3. have completed a minimum of three courses related to Arabic Studies (including at least one non-language courses - ARB 2101/ARB 2102, ARB 3901/ARB 3902), with preference being given to students registered in the Minor in Arabic Language and Culture;
4. demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa; and
5. demonstrate a keen interest in Arabic Studies.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants whose mother tongue is not Arabic.
Value of the Award: $2,000
Number of Awards: Minimum 10
Frequency of the Award: Annual
Level of the Award: Undergraduate
Application Contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application Deadline: October 31
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through the uoZone portal, and should include:
1. the Financial Questionnaire;
2. a non-official copy of the applicant’s transcript; and
3. a letter from the applicant addressed to the Chair in Arabic Studies and demonstrating the applicant’s keen interest in Arabic Studies.