Gilles Provost Scholarship in Theatre (722200302825)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWED FUND
Gilles Provost Scholarship in Theatre
This scholarship was generously created by Mr. Gilles Provost.
In 1951, at the age of 13, he was swept away by the magic of French theatre after watching a performance of Marcel Pagnol’s Topaze by the University of Ottawa’s French debating club. Eventually becoming a comedian and director, he has been involved with numerous theatre companies, including Les Dévots de la Rampe, Théâtre du Pont-Neuf, the NAC French Theatre and Théâtre des Lutins. He went on to teach in the University of Ottawa’s theatre department from 1972 to 1977. In 1976, he became artistic director of Gatineau’s Théâtre de l'Île, where many Department of Theatre graduates have made their acting debut. Gilles Provost remained at the helm until 2008.
PURPOSE OF FUND
Award a scholarship to an undergraduate student at the Department of Theatre who has distinguished him/herself through his/her academic excellence, his/her talent and his/her involvement in the theatre community.
The applicant must:
1. be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a person with the protected/refugee status or an international student;
2. be registered as a full-time student in an undergraduate program at the Department of Theatre of the Faculty of Arts;
3. specialize in acting and/or directing; and
4. demonstrate academic excellence, talent and involvement in the theatre community.
Value of the award: Minimum $1,000
Number of awards: Variable
Frequency of the award: Annual
Level or program of study: Undergraduate
Application contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application deadline: October 31
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca, and should include:
1. the Curriculum Vitae on Online Scholarships and Bursaries; and
2. a non-official copy of the applicant’s transcript.