Frans De Bruyn Travel Award Fund (762202302413)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWED FUND
Frans De Bruyn Travel Award Fund
The Frans De Bruyn Travel Award Fund is designed to support students registered in an academic program in the Department of English at any level of study (B.A., M.A., Ph.D.).
PURPOSE OF FUND
To provide financial assistance to an undergraduate or graduate student in the Department of English to defray travel expenses incurred to support national and international study and research essential to the student’s program in the Department of English.
The applicant must:
1. be registered as a full-time student in the Department of English at the Faculty of Arts at the University of Ottawa; and
2. have research or study plans in the upcoming academic year that are related to the applicant’s program in the Department of English and that require the applicant to travel within Canada or internationally. Students can apply to this fund for purposes such as essential research at libraries and archives outside of Ottawa, presentation of papers at academic conferences (graduate students only), and international exchanges and study terms abroad.
Note : A graduate student can only receive one award for travel to present a paper at academic conferences in any academic year (from September 1 to August 31).
Value of the award: Variable
Number of awards: Variable
Frequency of the award: Annual
Level or program of study: Undergraduate or Graduate
Application contact: Department of English
Applications must be made directly to the Department of English, and should include:
1. a copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae;
2. a non-official copy of the applicant’s transcript;
3. a description of the research or study to be undertaken (max. 500 words) and a short budget of costs; and
4. in the case of a request to fund travel related to a research project, a letter of support from the student’s supervisor or instructor.
In the case that multiple candidates meet the base requirements, the selection committee will decide upon the recipient based upon the award policies and standard criteria employed by the Department of English at the time of selection.