Latin American Community Service Scholarship (OTSS) (762220102199)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWED FUND (OTSS)
Latin American Community Service Scholarship
The fund is established by Mr. Marc Sylvain in support of the Michaëlle Jean Centre for Global and Community Engagement, which will allow the university community (students, professors, staff, alumni and retirees) to play an active role in the local, national or international community.
The donor thanks the Government of Ontario for its generous matching contribution.
PURPOSE OF FUND
Provide financial assistance to students carrying out service within the countries of Latin America, herein defined as Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The applicant must:
- be registered as a full-time student or part-time student at the University of Ottawa;
- be an Ontario resident, as per OSAP rules;
- demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa;
- carry out service within the countries of Latin America, herein defined as Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. The community service must be of a duration of at least three weeks; and
- be able to speak the local language of the area where the project will take place, or demonstrate an effort in learning it before the project.
- Value of the Award: Variable
- Number of Awards: Variable
- Frequency of the Award: Annual
- Level of the Award: Undergraduate or Graduate
- Application Contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
- Application Deadline: October 31 and February 28
- Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca, and should include:
- the Financial Questionnaire; and
- a description (approx.. 750 words) of the applicant’s upcoming community service project in Latin America (including the date(s) of departure and return, and the duration of the project), his/her vision of the ethic of service, and a short budget outlining expenses and funds already raised for the project. The letter must also outline the applicant’s ability to speak the local language (spoken and/or written) and/or their effort to learn
Note: Only applications from the students who will be travelling will be accepted.
 OTSS: Ontario Trust Student Support
 OSAP: Ontario Student Assistance Program