Borden Ladner Gervais Professional Excellence Award - CML (742200302002)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ANNUAL FUND
NAME OF ANNUAL FUND
BLG Professional Excellence Award
This fund was established thanks to a gift donated by Borden, Ladner, Gervais LLP, “BLG” an integrated national firm that provides a broad range of legal solutions to clients. BLG has more than 700 lawyers, intellectual property agents and other professionals in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Waterloo Region, Ottawa and Montreal, with some of the best, most experienced and successful legal minds in Canada. The firm prides itself on its core values of Integrity, Excellence, Client-Centred, Teamwork and Commitment in all that it undertakes.
PURPOSE OF FUND
Offer two Professional Excellence awards to students completing their first year of law school: one for the English Common Law Program, and one for the French Common Law Program, of the Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa.
The applicant must:
1. be registered as a full-time undergraduate student at the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section of the University of Ottawa;
2. demonstrate academic excellence; and
3. demonstrate adherence to the BLG Code of Professional Excellence, as stated below:
We are always learning about the law, practice and our clients, and always teaching each other what we know. We manage what we know so as to share it across our offices, our practice areas and our levels of experience.
We observe the highest standards of integrity, competence and professionalism. We want to be and do the best, and we take pride in our good name.
We continually examine and improve what we do and how we do it, and find new and better ways not only to solve problems, but also to use technology to improve our speed and efficiency.
We are a team of teams, working together to make the best possible use of our collective resources for the benefit of our clients.
We give back to the law, legal education, our professions and our communities. We want each of them to be better for our being part of it.
Value of the award: $1,500
Number of awards: 2 (one for the program in English, one for the program in French)
Frequency of the award: Annual
Level or program of study: JD
Application contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application deadline: July 26
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca, and should include:
1. a brief statement (approx. 500 words) detailing examples of how the applicant has achieved one or more of the components of the code of professional excellence; and
2. the names of two references, one of which should be from a law school professor, who can attest to the student’s excellence in one or more of the above components.