Blakes Scholar Awards (OTSS) (742120101502)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWMENT FUND (OTSS  )
Blakes Scholar Awards
This fund was established by Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP, a leading business law firm with expertise in all areas of related practice. This firm is committed to supporting legal education and legal talent in Canada. To that end, the firm has committed itself to establishing a national scholarship program across the country. The Faculty of Law, Common Law Section at the University of Ottawa has been identified as one of the law schools where the firm wants to establish a scholarship. The donor thanks the Government of Ontario who helped create this fund through their generous matching contributions.
PURPOSE OF FUND
To provide financial assistance to a second-year Common Law student in need who has demonstrated academic excellence.
The applicant must:
1. be registered as a full-time second-year student in the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section at the University of Ottawa;
2. be an Ontario resident, as per OSAP  rules;
3. demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa;
4. demonstrate academic excellence by having completed the first year of the program in the top 10%; and
5. demonstrate active involvement in the community, Faculty of Law and/or University campus.
Note : Preference may be given to a member of a historically disadvantaged group, as outlined by the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
Value of the Award: $5,000
Number of Awards: Two (one to a new recipient, one to a renewed recipient)
Frequency of the Award: Annual
Level of the Award: Undergraduate
Application Contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application Deadline: July 15
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca/ and must include the Financial Questionnaire.
 OTSS: Ontario Trust Student Support
 OSAP: Ontario Student Assistance Program