Frederick Cogan Q.C. Entrance Scholarship in Common Law (OTSS) (741220102212)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWMENT FUND (OTSS  )
FREDERICK COGAN Q.C. ENTRANCE
SCHOLARSHIP IN COMMON LAW
This fund was established in 2008 in honour of Mr. Frederick Cogan, Q.C. (BSS’60, LL.B.’63) by his family on the occasion of his 70th birthday. During his studies at the University of Ottawa, Mr. Cogan founded the University of Ottawa High School Debating Tournament and was Vice-President of the Student Federation. The donors thank the Government of Ontario for its matching contributions.
PURPOSE OF FUND
To provide financial assistance to new students entering the Common Law program who qualify under the terms established by the Ontario Trust for Student Support program.
The applicant must:
1. be admitted to the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section;
2. be an Ontario resident, as per the OSAP  rules;
3. demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa;
4. demonstrate professional and personal ethics; and
5. demonstrate entrepreneurship and community service involvement.
Value of the Award: Variable
Number of Awards: Variable
Frequency of the Award: Annual
Level of the Award: Undergraduate
Application Contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application Deadline: May 1
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through www.infoweb.uOttawa.ca,, and should include:
1. the Financial Questionnaire;
2. a statement from the applicant demonstrating his/her personal and professional ethics; and
3. a short text (less than 500 words) relating how the applicant has shown entrepreneurship and involvement within the community.