Pierre Baron Memorial Scholarship (712200301104)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
TITLE OF ENDOWED FUND
Pierre Baron Memorial Scholarship
This award commemorates Pierre Baron, full professor and former Director of the School of Psychology (1987-1992; 1994-1995) and of the Centre for Psychological Services (1982-1987; 1995-1996) at the University of Ottawa. He was deeply committed to both the practice and research aspects of his domain and was recognized for his expertise in the incidence, treatment, and evaluation of adolescent depression. Pierre died of cancer in 1996. The fund was established by Pierre’s family and colleagues and a generous bequest from Pierre’s mother, Lucienne Brown-Baron, upon her death in September 2007.
PURPOSE OF FUND
To support students in the second to sixth year of the doctoral program in either experimental or clinical psychology who have demonstrated excellence in research.
The applicant must:
1. be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a person with the protected/refugee status or an international student;
2. be registered into the second to sixth year of the doctoral program in either experimental or clinical psychology (the applicant’s registration into the program must be effective at the time of the application for the scholarship as well as of the awarding of the scholarship); and
3. be in overall good academic standing, taking into consideration years in the program and the program itself.
4. Other things being equal, preference will be given to the candidate without external funding.
Value of the award: $1,000
Number of awards: Variable
Frequency of the award: Annual
Level or program of study: Doctorate
Application contact: Program Administrator, School of Psychology
Application deadline: May 15
Graduate students who meet the eligibility requirements are invited to apply; applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca, and should include:
- one-page letter indicating the applicant’s research activities;
- an updated curriculum vitae; and
- a minimum of two letters of reference, one of which must come from the student’s supervisor. The letters must be sent directly, by the referees, to the loans and awards office at firstname.lastname@example.org.