Cara/Michael Syron Scholarship for the encouragement of entrepreneurial excellence (OSOTF) (741220100920)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR AN ENDOWED FUND
NAME OF ENDOWMENT FUND ( OSOTF  )
Cara / Michael Syron Scholarship for the
Encouragement of Entrepreneurial Excellence
This fund was established by Cara Operations Limited in memory of Michael Syron, Common Law Class of 1961, who passed away in 1995. Michael Syron was noted for his philanthropic nature and community involvement. Candidates must demonstrate an interest in the study of domestic or international business law, a commitment to strong academic performance in his or her previous programs, an interest in entrepreneurship, a history of community service, and a financial need for assistance. The founders of this fund appreciate the contribution of the Alumni Association to this fund as well as the matching contribution of the Government of Ontario.
PURPOSE OF FUND
This fund was established to assist students in financial need and encourage entrepreneurial excellence. One bursary will be provided to a student entering the first year of the English language program and one to a student entering the French language program.
The applicant must:
1. be entering an undergraduate program as a full-time student at the Common Law Section;
2. be an Ontario resident (as per OSAP - Ontario Student Assistance Program - rules);
3. demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa;
4. demonstrate an interest and/or experience in entrepreneurship and business law; and
5. have an admission average of at least 75 %.
Value of the Awards: Minimum $2,000
Number of Awards: Two: one to a student entering the first year of the English language program and the other to a student entering the first year of the French language program.
Frequency of the Award: Annual
Level of the Award: JD Undergraduate
Application Contact: Financial Aid and Awards Service
Application Deadline: May 1
Applications must be made through Online Scholarships and Bursaries, which can be accessed through https://scholarships.uottawa.ca, and should include:
1. the Financial Questionnaire; and
2. a one-page letter (maximum) describing his or her interest and/or experience in entrepreneurship and business law.
 OSOTF : Ontario Student Opportunity Trust Fund